Making the Case for Drugstore Makeup
Photography by Fernando Ceballos (@nando710x)
No hate on Sephora but…
For a long time, I shopped solely at Sephora and let’s be real – It’s basically wonderland… until you hit the register. Drugstore makeup as of late is making a strong case for why you’ll never need to buy department or specialty beauty products.
- Dupe galore: Dupes are affordable duplicates of a high quality brand. You can find dupes for virtually any department or specialty store beauty product – including application tools – so you can find near identical items in a pinch.
- Save major cash: Obviously, the best part of drugstore makeup is the money you save. Sure, it may take a little bit of trial and error, but you can save over $200 every time you go makeup shopping (Score!).
- You can be more experimental: Want to try a bold brow? Go for it. Envious of Gwen Stefani’s bright red lips? Try it for yourself. Need falsies for one occasion? Don’t spend a fortune… drugstore is where it’s at. Sure, you’ll still have your holy grail makeup products but every once in a while you can mix it up and jump on the bandwagon of new trends.
- More excuses to go to Target: If you haven’t ever been to Target, we can’t be friends. I’m totally joking! … But seriously, what are you waiting for? There are at least 4 glorious aisles of well-lit makeup with dedicated sales associates to help you find what you need. While you’re there, pick up nearly everything else in the store because that’s what you do at Target.
If you’re not convinced yet, check out my favorite dupes below!
My Favorite Makeup Dupes
I’ll preface this by noting that everyone’s skin is different so what works for me might not work for you. If you’re like me though I highly recommend these options.
A little about my skin…
Tone: Very fair with pink undertones.
Issues: Oily T-zone yet flaky, large pores with some acne breakouts, dark circles, and redness around my nose.
And now the dupes…
- L’oreal Infallible Pro-Matte Foundation in Classic Ivory: Matte, medium coverage foundation that really keeps oil at bay. Dupe for Clinique Stay-Matte Oil Free Makeup.
- E.L.F. Perfect Finish HD Powder in Sheer: Transparent pressed powder that sets the matte look. Dupe for MAKEUP FOR EVER HD Microfinish Powder.
- NYX HD Concealer in Shade 02: Creamy medium coverage that covers redness and dark circles. Dupe for NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer.
- NYX Tinted Brow Mascara in Chocolate: Really, really good to fill in your brows and looks very natural. Dupe for Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Gel.
- Ardell Natural Lashes in style 109: Lashes to impress for special occasions. Dupe for Sephora False Eyelashes.
- Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid in Nude Thrill: A very creamy matte lip liquid, through it doesn’t not fully dry. Dupe for Kylie Lip Kit.
- Ecotools Brushes: Seriously, some of the best quality brushes at a fraction of the price. Dupe for Sephora Collection brushes.
- Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge: I buy these in multiple packs because they are just that good. Dupe for the BeautyBlender.
There you have it! Go out there and conquer those drugstore aisles.